Saturday, April 7, 2012

Already re-read Hunger Games

Just finished re-reading Hunger Games. Goal was to take my time and let it soak in more than before. But I found myself rushing throughout it to get to see how it ends. It was just as gripping as the first time I read it.  

Here are a few thoughts...
I'm struck by Katniss hardened attitude. She's not going show any emotion, let anyone see her cry or display any weakness. She hates to owe anyone anything. Other than Gale and Prim, she distrusts everyone else, including her mom. Even without becoming a tribute, her focus is survival.

I love Peeta. You keep waiting for him to stumble and give up the act. That he's some selfish well off baker's boy. Of course, having read the thing before, I know he's being himself. "She has no idea. The effect she can have". Also, didn't catch the first time that Katniss admits that she's noticed him more than she wants to admit. He's strong and can wrestle.

I read a comment to another blog that the stories are not about romance but survival. At first I agreed. But now, I think that romance is huge. If not romance, then relationships. Only Peeta can comfort Katniss in a way that Gale can never. Gale can help her keep from starving and as a soul-mate friend. But he will never be able to help her survive in ways that Peeta can.

At the end of Hunger Games (2nd reading), when Peeta figures out that Katniss was acting that she loved him. Or at least instructed to act. And he is hurt, because he was not acting. "He's already there" as Hamich put it. But, she was not acting, she just can't admit it.

That's it for now. I can't believe I've spent so much time on these books. And so much time writing my thoughts. The fact that we can all re-read, comment, disagree, agree is a huge comment on Collin's ability to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment