Sunday, April 8, 2012

Stuck in Catching Fire


My re-read  of Hunger Games was just as gripping and compelling as the first read.  I noticed a few things like how cold and hardened Katniss is from the get-go. Also, like others, I found myself entangled in the love story between Peeta and Katniss.  But I couldn't put the book down, again.

But, I'm stuck about half way through my re-read of Catching Fire. I may be simple minded because I find myself caught up in the love triangle, Katniss-Gale-Peeta.  I'm just tired of Katniss and her inability to make a decision. Whether it's to run off with Gale, or Peeta, or Hamich or all of them. Or to stay and fight or ??.  Then the romance triangle is annoying this time around. Gale: "I love you", Katnis: "I know". WHAT?  Reminded me of the parachute that Hamich sent Katniss and Peeta in the movie: "You call that a kiss response?". Hamich to Katniss, re: Peeta: "you could live a hundred lifetimes and not deserve him".  Katniss: "I know, he the superior one in this trio". "He's the superior one"? I know she's been traumatized by years of being responsible to put meat on the table. But it is annoying in my re-read of Catching Fire. It does help to keep in mind that she's still just 17. But on the first read the suspense regarding "will it be Gale or will it be Peeta" was compelling. Not the second time. 

The other story lines are still interesting, how the Capital continues to use intimidation. How they use Katniss. How the rebellion is getting hold. The Quell. You can feel the build up to Mockingjay, the war storyline becoming a central theme. But, I guess things do not make as much sense the second read which is kinda weird.

I'll probably press on through Catching Fire and get back to Mockingjay. I really want to re-read Mockingjay. I want to see what my reaction to the book is after a re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment